Ronald W. Milam Jr., MD
Dr. Milam decided to become a surgeon at a young age. Motivated by a childhood injury, Dr. Milam uses his own personal experience to provide compassionate and personalized care for his patients. "At an early age, I nearly lost the use of my legs. I learned what it truly meant to be a patient; to have a frightened family and an uncertain future. With the precision of an outstanding surgical team, I made a full recovery. From that moment, I knew I needed to pursue a career that would allow me to serve others in the same life-altering way."
Dr. Milam is a North Carolina native. He grew up admiring his father, who served his community as the local optometrist. Dr. Milam earned his undergraduate and medical degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He then completed his ophthalmology residency at Vanderbilt University, where he was selected to serve as Chief Resident and was awarded the Benchmark Award for Resident Excellence for two consecutive years.
After residency, he completed his vitreoretinal surgery fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic Cole Eye Institute, where he was the recipient of the Fellow of the Year Award. "Training at the Cleveland Clinic allowed me to utilize the most cutting-edge research and technology to tailor treatments specific to each patient’s needs. Here at NC Retina Associates I have the same approach, and I strive to ensure each patient is comfortable with his or her own personalized treatment plan."
Dr. Milam is a contributor to the medical literature, having authored more than 10 medical and surgical textbook chapters and 14 peer-reviewed publications. Complementing his research endeavors, he serves as a consultant on numerous advisory boards and addresses his research interests by presenting at national and international scientific meetings.
Dr. Milam is board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Society of Retina Specialists. He specializes in the treatment of medical and surgical retinal diseases such as diabetic retinopathy, retinal vascular diseases, age-related macular degeneration, retinal detachments, secondary intraocular lens placements, macular holes and epiretinal membranes.
Dr. Milam feels fortunate to have the opportunity to practice in his home state of North Carolina. He enjoys spending time with his family, traveling, sports, participating in outdoor activities and volunteering in his community.
“Dr. Milam is a dream to work with. My surgery has gone smoothly and I see so much better!”— NC Retina Patient Review
- Vitreoretinal Surgery Fellowship: Cleveland Clinic Cole Eye Institute, Cleveland, OH
- Chief Resident: Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Vanderbilt Eye Institute, Nashville, TN
- Ophthalmology Residency: Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Vanderbilt Eye Institute, Nashville, TN
- Chief Intern: John Peter Smith Hospital, Fort Worth, TX
- Doctor of Medicine: University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC
- Bachelor of Science in Biology: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Board of Ophthalmology
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Retina Specialists
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology